I’m a huge fan of creative play (which could be, you know, just play, but for adults often ends up being more on the creative side), for lots of reasons:
- It relieves stress and builds confidence.
- It’s a great space to process feelings and put thoughts together on an intuitive level.
- It’s a great way to spend time, bond and process stuff with other people.
- It gives you lots of physical experience to build interesting metaphors from.
- It’s often not online and can be a great way to focus on sensory/embodied experience.
- It can be a good way to connect with and learn about history, culture, and lots of other subjects.
- You can end up with really cool objects to use and share.
- You can often reuse materials or find natural options.
- It’s fun.
Besides writing and illustration, I get most excited about ceramics, cooking, sewing, bookbinding, candle making, tattooing, playing trumpet, drumming, improvisational movement, ritual (complicated, but there’s lots of overlap with play) and making mind maps.