I think this is another book, or it might be one some day.
Maybe it starts with a butterfly? Not sure why yet, something about meta pherein (carrying accross), something about Psyche (the goddess, the butterfly, the soul, the breath).
Notes on the intersection of metaphor and magic:
- Ensouling Language analogical thinking is what writing is, and writing is what magic is
- Meditations on the Tarot analogical thinking is the fundamental magical skill
- Both of these processes mimic the analogical moment central to conversational hypnosis
- If every thought is metaphorical, maybe magic is the process of seeing that structure and skillfully navigating between metaphors
- Anthropology of Magic says that magic is analogical thinking (flipped to this heading when I first opened the book)
More about metaphor:
- Philosophy in the Flesh, an introduction to metaphorical thinking
- On Truth and Lies - Nietzsche
- Ricoeur on living vs. dead metaphor
- Plato’s Seventh Letter
I wrote a paper on Aristotle and Metaphor, which I think is pretty magical. Among other things, he said: “The greatest thing by far is to have a command of metaphor. This alone cannot be imparted by another; it is the mark of genius, for to make good metaphors implies an eye for resemblances.”